Attend Our Student Town Hall Aug. 26: The 74 and America’s Promise Alliance Join Forces to Host Youth Forum on Reopening School Amid the Pandemic and Movement for Racial Justice
- The 74 and @americaspromise are partnering for a virtual town hall to hear from students on school reopening amid the pandemic and ongoing racial justice movement. Sign up here
- Join @americaspromise and @The74 at 2 p.m. ET Aug. 26 for a Virtual Youth Town Hall to hear from students across the country about school reopening and addressing racism in school. Get more info and RSVP here
- CALLING ALL MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS! Join @americaspromise and @The74 on Aug. 26 at 2 p.m. ET for a Virtual Youth Town Hall to share your perspective and advice for school leaders
Dozens of students from across the country will gather in a virtual town hall Aug. 26 to discuss reopening schools amid the coronavirus pandemic and the ongoing movement for racial justice. The event is a partnership between The 74 and America’s Promise Alliance to elevate student voices in the national conversation.
The free event will feature six student panelists from across the United States who will share their insights and advice for school leaders about reopening amid the pandemic, involving students in school decision-making and how schools should provide opportunities to learn about race and racism. There will also be time for other students to share their insights about how the pandemic has affected them and how educators and schools should respond.
The discussion will address questions such as: What are young people thinking and feeling about starting the year in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic after a spring of disrupted learning? How have the pandemic and school closures exacerbated racial tensions and created greater urgency for addressing racism in school? What advice can young people share with school leaders in this unprecedented moment?
The town hall will start at 2 p.m. ET Aug. 26 on Zoom.
- Middle and high school students, sign up here to participate in the town hall.
- School leaders, educators and other youth-supporting adults, sign up here.
America’s Promise Alliance is a nonprofit organization that brings together other national nonprofits, businesses, community and civic leaders, educators, citizens and young people to amplify the voices of American youth and catalyze change.
The 74 is a nonprofit digital news site covering education in America with an emphasis on equity. See The 74’s rolling coverage of how the coronavirus is affecting students, families and schools across the country.
Pandemic Notebook: 13 Students Across America Write About COVID-19, Their Disrupted School Year and the Disorienting New Normal
This town hall highlighting the perspectives of American youth is sponsored by Pure Edge, Inc., a foundation that equips educators and learners with strategies for combating stress and developing social, emotional and academic competencies, and Sanford Harmony/National University System, which is focused on building supportive learning communities where all students feel connected, valued, and heard through social and emotional learning.
Disclosure: Carnegie Corporation of New York and Chan Zuckerberg Initiative provide financial support to America’s Promise Alliance and The 74.Submit a Letter to the Editor