Director of Development and Partnerships
The 74, an award-winning non-profit news organization devoted to K-12 education in America, is looking for a multi-talented, energetic and creative self-starter to take on the new position of Director of Development and Partnerships. The job will have many facets, all of which will be aimed at managing and expanding the publication’s donor base, helping increase its revenue and helping the continued growth and engagement of its audience across all of The 74’s publishing platforms.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable straddling the worlds of education journalism and those of philanthropy and fundraising. The chosen candidate will work directly with The 74’s Publisher in fundraising efforts with existing and new donors, will oversee grant reporting with all donors and develop close and ongoing relationships with the relevant program officers and communications directors at various foundations.
This ideal candidate will also identify new revenue opportunities, and work with the publisher, and when appropriate, the Editor-in-Chief and other members of the editorial team, to execute on them.
The new director will scout out and manage strategic partnerships that help The 74 enhance its brand within the education space and within the realm of non-profit organizations. This will involve working with partners on book projects, video efforts, and multimedia editorial packages as well as producing live events, virtually and in person.
In addition, the chosen candidate will work with the publisher to develop and implement strategies to improve engagement of readers of The 74 on its website, on syndication platforms and in The 74’s newsletter. This is a job for someone who can think big and bold, but at the same time is eager to do the hands-on work that is needed in the moment.
Lastly, but certainly not least, the ideal candidate will be comfortable in a high-energy entrepreneurial environment and eager to engage in project management for creative online and offline initiatives. This person must be an effective, efficient, and organized planner and executor who loves brainstorming creative ideas and doing whatever it takes to make them happen.
The position is based in New York City, but we will consider applicants from other locations. Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Work collaboratively with the Publisher to maintain and foster relationships with The 74’s existing donors.
- Work with the Publisher to identify other foundations that could provide financial support for The 74, and develop strategies for outreach.
- Develop guidelines for planned giving, fundraising, and marketing campaigns.
- Cultivate potential major gift prospects, develop proposals and conduct solicitations of individual donors.
- Assist The 74’s Publisher in writing grant proposals for foundation support as needed.
- Develop partnerships with non-journalistic organizations whose interests align with The 74’s, particularly in presenting events or joint publishing enterprises.
- Work with the Publisher and others to develop and execute audience growth strategies.
- Five to 10 years of relevant experience in a news organization, think tank, or nonprofit.
- Experience in project management and execution.
- Strong communications skills and writing ability.
- Understanding and familiarity with fundraising and philanthropy.
- Interest in or experience in education news.
- Understanding and familiarity with the news media.
- Understanding and familiarity with audience development and engagement.
- Digital enthusiast who is comfortable with a range of digital tools and platforms.
- Innovative and creative spirit.
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively and respectfully across various roles; a team player.
About The 74
The 74 Media is a non-profit, non-partisan news site covering education in America. Our mission is to lead an honest, fact-based conversation about how to give America’s 74 million children under the age of 18 the education they deserve. Jobs at The 74 come with competitive salaries and benefits.
The 74 is committed to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply. Please send resumes to email@example.com.
Pandemic Safety Note: Given safety protocols, our newsroom is currently working remotely, but expecting to return to the physical newsroom by Sept. 1.
Share this opportunity: Click here for the link.Submit a Letter to the Editor