Have a passion for education and America’s youth, and a strong entrepreneurial spirit? Do you have journalism experience driving creative coverage of complex topics? Are you a supporter of nonprofit newsrooms, and have ideas for how to help content reach readers during this era of fragmenting audiences? Are you fanatical about organization, details, and deadlines? These skills could land you a key leadership role at one of the largest and most-lauded news sites spotlighting America’s 74 million children, their schools and communities as they rebound from the pandemic.
The 74 Media, the award-winning publisher of The74Million.org, LASchoolReport.com and an array of education books, microsites, and newsletters, is looking for an experienced and creative journalist, manager and content strategist to join our senior management team as our first-ever Chief Creative Officer. This senior leadership role will oversee efforts across our special projects, audience development and multimedia teams, with the aim of driving new revenue, readership, partnerships and brand awareness.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Chief Creative Officer will work alongside both the Editor in Chief and the Director of Development & Revenue to help scale the organization’s journalism around education and youth, as well as our multimedia coverage, audience engagement strategy and revenue-aligned editorial, products and events. With a focus on both current readers and products, as well as future growth areas for the brand, the Chief Creative Officer will play a key role in setting the strategic direction for the organization.
- You’ll oversee the organization’s projects and audience development efforts, as well as the multimedia team that will create key content for both strategies.
- You’ll take point in developing, managing and editing new editorial projects aligned with current newsroom or donor priorities.
- You’ll also conceive and pitch new projects/initiatives geared towards future donor, audience or brand expansion.
- You’ll create, maintain and evolve an editorial calendar devoted to projects, will recruit and assign contributors as needed to keep projects on deadline, and will look for opportunities to integrate core staffers into project initiatives.
- You’ll oversee conception and execution of 74 events and convenings, and will serve as liaison to key events partners and sponsors.
- You’ll manage The 74’s multimedia team, channeling output to complement project and audience development priorities, including short-form video content to drive growth on emerging social media platforms.
- You’ll supervise the organization’s audience, product, tech and art leads, with the goal of deepening reader engagement, broadening content reach and expanding overall audience.
- You’ll partner with the Editorial Director in identifying areas of overlap between organic news coverage and project content, as well as the Business Development Director in matching project efforts with business expansion priorities.
- You’ll partner with the Editorial Director and Editor-in-Chief in evolving The 74’s newsletter and product strategy, and will help determine where project content can help power expansion efforts.
- You’ll play a key part in our daily morning news meeting, helping to connect project initiatives to core editorial efforts.
- You’ll manage relationships with key project funders and editorial partners.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in a related field (journalism, communications, marketing, analytics, business) required.
- 7+ years of experience in the media industry, with a thorough understanding of newsroom operations.
- Experience managing editorial teams and aligning commissioned content with broader business objectives.
- Familiarity with all audience development channels and tactics – SEO, social, newsletter, and partnerships.
- Entrepreneurial, digitally savvy, with exceptional problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- You excel at finding solutions to obstacles, no matter how big or small.
- Comfortable with a fast-paced, constantly evolving startup environment.
- Highly organized and can effectively prioritize between multiple projects.
- You embrace change and are comfortable in an evolving organization, where responsibilities will continuously evolve to align with strategic priorities.
- Strong editorial judgment along with proven headline writing and story packaging chops
- A network of talented and reliable freelance talent is a huge plus
- A strong work ethic, a collegial team player, and a sense of humor
The 74 is committed to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and encourages people of all races, colors, national origins, ancestries, creeds, religions, genders, ages, disabilities, veteran statuses, sexual orientations, and marital statuses to apply.
Please submit resumes and cover letters to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preference will be given to applicants in and around the New York City region but we are open to candidates living in any location, provided they are open to quarterly travel to NYC to meet with the senior leadership team, and to other cities as needed for official events or meetings with key 74 partners.
For candidates in or near NYC, who would prefer access to an external workspace, we have several staffers who embrace a hybrid arrangement of both in-person time at our Manhattan office and work from home.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with location and experience, including health, dental and vision insurance with subsidized premiums, 401(k) match, four weeks paid time off and a generous company holiday calendar that includes a paid winter recess. Compensation package will depend on a number of factors, including but not limited to, the candidate’s relevant experience, qualifications, and location.
ABOUT THE 74
The 74 Media is an award-winning nonprofit news organization committed to covering education and school communities across America. In the United States, less than half of our students can read or do math at grade-level, yet most education coverage and debate fails to focus on the kids who are being left behind, the barriers to increasing student achievement, and what’s working for students and families. Our mission is to lead an honest, fact-based conversation about how to give America’s 74 million children under the age of 18 the education they deserve.
The 74’s coverage enjoys extensive reach, thanks to our strong, strategic social media presence, our syndication on such mass-audience platforms as Apple and Yahoo News, and our ongoing editorial partnerships with publications such as The Texas Tribune, Fast Company, Axios and The Guardian. Our newsroom consists of 19 editors, reporters and videographers along with a network of a dozen standing contributors. In addition to daily news coverage, we also publish a robust opinion page and are known for long-form enterprise features, in-depth investigations, short-form documentaries and informational explainers. Beyond the newsroom, we have published multiple books, oversee a suite of daily and weekly newsletters, launched numerous microsites targeting specific topic areas, and hosted/moderated more than 100 education events across the country.
Editor in ChiefFlexible
Digital Content ProducerFlexible
Director of Audience and GrowthFlexible
Director of Development & RevenueFlexible
Freelance Reporter, Los Angeles Education NewsTelecommute
The 74 is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring an inclusive group of qualified professionals. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented groups to apply. Interested in working with us but don't see the job for you? Email us at:email@example.com